Im moving out of my flat in a couple of weeks and what with RailsConfEurope coming up next week im having to packup sooner rather than later.
The goal is to get a flat full of stuff into one Subaru Impreza. This is going to be a tough but achievable goal and something which we need to do when Helen and I move to Trondheim, Norway in January. We are following rules like:
- If it hasnt been used in 6 months and is of questionable use get rid of it.
- If stuff is too good to throw away it goes to charity shops or glasgow freecycle. Got rid of my monster desk the other day through this. It was named ‘the cockpit’ in Staples.
- Personally, the most stuff I have is technology related. I am using online web services wherever possible to try and move as much as possible to ‘the cloud’. (Google apps for your domain, Amazon S3, Flickr, VPS Servers)
- Get rid of desktop machines and use only laptops for space saving reasons.
- Take photos of stuff that is sentimental to you. Normally this is enough, why keep the hard copy!
Next step is to get one of those Fujitsu ScanSnap scanners and convert all documents to electronic format and backup to S3 in an attempt to go properly paperless.
Anyone got any other suggestions for living a truly minimalist lifestyle?